Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The End of America?

Why should we know history?
I asked this question every day in high school. What is the purpose of knowing the past? It's not like it can happen again. That's what I thought.
The past may be boring. All the dates, the names, the places, the wars, the battles; everything about it can seem to go on and on and on.
I recently watched a documentary aptly titled "The End of America," in which I was truly disturbed about the goings on of our nation.
I saw the Bush Administration paralleled to the fascists of Italy, to the communists of the USSR, to the Nazi regime.
When the PATRIOT act was passed, I was already scared to death. I knew that it meant we could be under surveillance. But I didn't really know the news during the time. I didn't know that people were being targeted by the White House. I didn't know that the 43rd president of the United States of America was not following the law. I didn't know that this administration was trying to take away the freedom of speech by making CRITICISM of the government ESPIONAGE! The rights of the press were being squelched along with every other right the Bill of Rights promise us. Detainees and US citizens, named Enemies of the State by the U.S. government were not promised a speedy trial, they weren't even given Habeas corpus. Everything we thought we had, vanished. This so called conservative, whose party, by the way, is all about limiting government control, started taking control of the entire country's everyday life.
This scares me so terribly.
This society is closing, or it was closing.
If any president in the future wishes to close the US, it looks like it has been made easier by George W.
Think about it. Do some research. Don't take what I say for granted, that's where we got here in the first place. Trusting way too much. Not questioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment