Saturday, January 21, 2012

New Year, New Goals

aka NY;NG.
I know it's pretty far into the New Year already (because my birthday is right around the corner!) but I thought I'd make it a point to challenge myself to go above and beyond what I normally do. Not this semester. Not Cornell. But LIFE. It has recently come to my attention that my generation and the art movement in general has come to a stand still. Where people once valued the depth and breadth of a piece, there is only the value of simplistic irony in a statement. Graphic Ts are spreading like wildfire on this one idea alone. We've lost this great understanding...or at least the struggle for understanding; connection.
Why would anyone want to lose that? It's like we've not only accepted ignorance...but we're asking it into our lives. That's not something I understand. When is ignorance bliss?
This is where I started...and this is why I'm making it my goal this year to stay aware and attuned to my surroundings. I know that's so vague and broad...but let me explain. I haven't had much inspiration lately, and I blame that on myself. I think that if I were to really try and focus on the world around me...I could see what I'm missing. As it has been lately, I haven't taken the time to do that, at all. Someone once said taking pictures might help...and it might...but keeping my eyes open will do the same thing. Taking time to write down a note on a piece of paper to not forget...that is one thing. There's SO much going on around me. It's a waste to just ignore it. I guess that's what I'm trying to accomplish here. This is my soapbox. Tear back the ignorance!
Goal number two is...a bit different. It's not so much a soapbox than a resolution of sorts. Apparently I have a tendency to say the right wrong thing at the wrong right time. I've been told it's more of a knack than a tendency. This is where I apologize to everyone I've wronged doing that and vow to think more before I speak. I feel like I've stepped in that direction...taking a longer time to make a decision rather than being stead fast to something emotionally. This is something I would advocate EVERYONE do. It takes a certain kind of person to be able to question their own beliefs for validity...but there has to be a balance...you have to be able to make a decision...or else what good does it do a person to see both sides and not have a judgement. It doesn't. Balance is difficult. So play Devil's Advocate with yourself from time to time, you'll be surprised what you can find out...and take time before you say something...try to seriously think about what you say before you say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment