Wednesday, April 4, 2012

(Unm)otivational Text

I was browsing my facebook newsfeed earlier...and I came across the picture to the right. It actually made me angry. It's funny how little things can bring emotions right out of me...must be my state of mind at the moment. Either way...there has to be some kind of doublethink going on, there are all of these motivational, "come out of depression," kind of word pictures going around the internet these days. Wonderful! These are great messages. Who wants people to be depressed all of the time? I sure don't want to be depressed all of the time...I don't want my friends or family...even a complete stranger...I don't really wish depression on anyone. HOWEVER, it seems to me that this doublethink practice allows these creative minds (those making the word pictures) to ignore the clinically depressed people out there. Depression isn't just a mindset, it's also a chemical imbalance in the brain. Lack of energy can stimulate the same type of symptoms, and can be itself a symptom. The message this text is sending does not send out the message of a caring and supportive community and mindset for and of the depressed. Clinical depression makes doing EVERYTHING difficult. It makes it harder to get out of bed in the morning, more difficult to find motivation to do things that you LOVE to do...things that are important to you. Or at least they seemed to be at one point. Depression is a slide...it happens slowly and then falls ever more rapidly. It can happen before you realize it is happening, and then it feels like it's too late to do anything about anything. Hopelessness kicks in. Which is why this picture pisses me off to no END.
I suffer from depression, and am currently having a hard time coping with academics and many other situations. Things are harder than ever for me...and things that are very important are slipping from my grasp. I feel like a failure...this picture does nothing to help that out at all. This type of negative motivation...it's disheartening if anything. This idea that my depression is my excuse is infuriating...perhaps this is part of the motivation...then what kind of motivation is that? Negative dialogue...self talk...negative self-talk can be disastrous if coupled with the right, or wrong, persons.
It is ignorance that forwards this kind of thought. It is outright wrong to ignore the clinically depressed. Do not make my handicap my excuse, let it be my motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment