Friday, January 21, 2011

Should the truth come out?

I have to make a decision.
It's not a decision I want to make.
I wish it never even came down to this.
I have no idea what to do.
While I want everything to be nice and at least cordial, like it's always been, I also want for him to know the truth and accept me for me.
The only frame of reference that I have for this is my brother's coming out...which was a disaster.
I just don't know the best way to tell my father that I don't know what I believe...but I'm pretty sure it's not what he believes.

1 comment:

  1. Well, no matter what he may believe to be right in his mind, the simple fact is that no one, and I mean no one, will live to be what another wants them to. Each and every individual is different, hence the idea of being an individual comes forth. At the same time, there at things that certain individuals will agree with, and other things that they'll disagree with. The manner in which someone seeks to understand another's viewpoint differs, leading to my point; each person deals with things differently. How they deal with it should not affect the quality of life or belief system of another.

    We're only human, so no one will ever truly understand where another person is coming from. It's okay to have a healthy disregard for another's beliefs, so long as one is able to differentiate criticism of another from their own belief.

    Whatever he says really doesn't matter. Yes, you may be his kin, his shining glory, but a part of life, and an essential part of being human is knowing that life is about understanding the differences among one another. Approach him as positively as possible, and move forward from there. Though he may disagree, leave it at that. Don't let whatever else he might say upset nor hurt you. In time, all will be well.

    ReplyDelete